Tenants Letting Guide - Frequently Asked Questions

What’s the difference between a Fully Managed property and Introduction Only?

If your property is let fully managed, then our management department will be your first point of contact for all maintenance and repair issues.

Introduction Only means that David Daniels are instructed to find tenants for the property and arrange the necessary paperwork, the Landlord then takes over the management and in this scenario you would contact the landlord direct.

How binding is the Tenancy Agreement that I enter into?

A Tenancy Agreement governs all rents, which is a legal and binding document. You will be committed to paying rent until the end of the agreed term and you could be liable to legal action if you break the terms of the agreement. If your circumstances should change for any reason during your tenancy, it is a good idea to tell us as soon as possible.

Do I need insurance?

Yes! Your contents need to be insured, as the landlord's insurance covers the actual property, but not your possessions.

What about Pets?

Most landlords are not keen on pets and often there will be a clause forbidding pets. Still, if you can't live without the family cat, dog or hamster then please let us know and we will do our utmost to find you a suitable property to let that has no pet restrictions.

Who do you contact for references?

It is in everyone's interests to ensure that you can comfortably afford the rent on your chosen property. The checks are much as you'd expect (verification of employment, past addresses etc). We will also ask for a bank, employer and previous landlord reference. Sometimes a guarantor may be required. David Daniels are on hand with any questions you may have and the sooner the references can be completed, the faster you can move in.

When might I need a Guarantor?

If your financial reference is weak for any reason, we could ask for a guarantor to support your tenancy. This is a serious commitment, as the guarantor will be as responsible as the tenant for all monies due and obligations agreed for the tenancy. Guarantors need to have strong financial references to show that they will not suffer hardship should they be called upon to pay on your behalf

How do I pay my rent?

Rent is paid monthly by standing order from your bank. This is set up to be withdrawn from your account 3 days before your rent day so that it arrives on the due date. This is a worry-free way of ensuring you never fall behind in your rental payments. Be sure to tell us if your circumstances change, for instance you change banks or your employment situation changes as we can then help you to protect your tenancy. The last thing we want is for you to fall into arrears.

How much money do I need to move into a property?

Before your tenancy begins we need to receive your first month's rent and deposit and reference fees in cleared funds, such as a bankers' draft or building society cheque. Personal cheques can only be used if they are paid seven days in advance, in order to clear. You will be given details in writing before taking up the tenancy.

Who pays the council tax and other bills?

Unless otherwise agreed with the landlord, tenants are responsible for payment of all bills. 

In all fully managed properties we will let the relevant council tax department and Thames Water know that you are moving in and you will be responsible for opening an account in your name.  David Daniels will not be held responsible for failure of these accounts being set up. Tenants are responsible for transfer of gas and electric bills into their name.

IE8 Alert! Cookie Alert!

To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a modern web browser. More info