Welcome to David Daniels
Stratford Office: 0208 555 3521
Leyton Office: 0208 558 8893

Property Licensing

Private Rented Property Licensing.

Both Newham and Waltham Forest have both been designated as Private Rented Property Licence Area’s.

This means that owners of every privately rented home in either borough must apply for a Private Rented Property Licence (PRPL), to be issued by the Council. 

Owners with multiple rented properties in the boroughs must complete an application for each property.


Frequently Asked Questions:


Will I need a licence for each property I own or manage?

Yes, each property will need a licence.

How do I apply for a property licence?


You can apply for a licence by visiting the Councils website at www.newham.gov.uk/propertylicensing

If you require any further information or advice then you can contact the property licensing and technical support team on 0203   3731950 or alternatively e-mail - propertylicensing@newham.gov.uk


You can apply for a licence by visiting the Councils website at http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/pages/services/sl-selective-licensing.aspx 

Should you experience problems whilst applying for your licence then you can call Customer Services 9am-5pm, Monday - Friday on 020 8496 3000.

How much will a licence cost me?

The full fee is £500 for a licence. (Subject to application date) Enforcement action can be taken against landlords who fail to license and they could face fines of up to £20,000.


How do landlords benefit from licensing?

Licensing will help identify rogue landlords who impact negatively on the reputation of private landlords. It will improve the rental market across the boroughs by raising standards, whilst also supporting responsible landlords with tenancy disputes and troublesome and anti-social tenants. Landlords will benefit from a more professional and robust market and more sustainable tenancies.

How do tenants benefit from licensing?

Licensing will help identify and penalise rogue landlords who are responsible for creating poor housing conditions and limiting the rental choices available to Newham and Waltham Forest residents.

It will improve the rental market across the areas by raising standards, supporting tenants and hopefully creating a more stable community.

What happens to landlords who refuse to apply?

Every landlord will be given reasonable time to licence their properties but the council will pursue those who flout the law. Complete applications to licence a property must be submitted to the Property Licensing Team.

 It would be an offence to fail to licence a property that requires one. It could result in prosecution, with a fine of up to £20,000. Additionally a rent repayment order (RRO) for up to 12 months rental income can be made.


I am a responsible landlord, why should I be penalised?

Rogue landlords will have a reduced licence period of a year and will be monitored to ensure they improve the management of their tenancies and properties and will have to renew their licences at more regular intervals.

Licensing will help identify those landlords who flout the law and will allow Newham and Waltham Forest to tackle associated issues. This will in turn improve the rental market across the areas, whilst also supporting responsible landlords with tenancy disputes and anti-social tenants by offering guidance and advice.


Back To Top

The Property Ombudsman Lettings The Property Ombudsman Sales NAEA NALS ARLA

The cookie settings on this website are set to allow all cookies to give you the very best experience. If you continue past this page without changing these settings, you consent to this. You can change your cookies settings at any time in your browser.

More Information     No Thanks